Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Working Woman

Monday was the first day of my internship. I was nervous about it pretty much all Sunday night, but it turns out I really had nothing to be worried about, and Monday night I slept so soundly that I woke up confused - thinking it was the middle of the night, when it was in fact 7 am.

My internship is at a Brussels based magazine called "The Bulletin." There is a staff of about 10 that work in the office that I am in. Everyone there has been very friendly so far. I have my own small desk with a computer, and there is a free hot chocolate machine in the office (this might be the best part, their cheap hot chocolate is about 10 times better than the best kind in America). So far, my major project is to re-vamp "Newcomer" which is a magazine that The Bulletin publishes twice a year geared towards individuals who have just moved or are about to move to Belgium. I basically go through the magazine article by article and look at what is good and what is bad about it, then rewrite and reconfigure things. It's especially nice for me, because I am a newcomer to Belgium. For example, yesterday, I found out all about the public transportation system (you can get an 8 euro train ticket to Antwerp from Brussels if you buy a "shopping" pass).

The only downside to my job is that it is about an hour out of the city, so it takes some commute time. Right now, I get a ride in the morning from the Editor-In-Chief of The Bulletin, and I get a ride home at night from whoever is leaving first and can drop me off at a Metro station or at my apartment. Still, it does take a while to commute, so I'm trying to work something out with Gareth to see if there is some easier way to do it.

Today, I had the day off of work because this afternoon we have a major conference about agriculture with all of the students from Missouri and 30 more Mizzou kids who are traveling through on their winter inter-session trip. Our Chancellor, Brady Deaton, will also be there. I think it will be pretty cool, but there's a slight chance it's the most boring thing I do while in Belgium...

After only a week, I'm really feeling like I know my way around Brussels, and I am a real part of Belgium. I am finally feeling moved in to my apartment, and I know my way around the area. I went shopping for groceries today, and people addressed me in French (which I was really excited about, I felt native, and it was the first time they didn't speak English to me right away). Now, I'm ready for visitors, I think I could show them around.

Lastly, if anyone is wondering, my Skype name is susanparsons1, and I've finally figured out my address, so you can ship me things if you want... ;)

Susan Parsons
Bvd du Triomphe 151 B111
Room 1525
B-1050 Bruxelles
Belgium

No comments:

Post a Comment