Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Lost, Never Forgotten

It was a year ago this past Christmas Eve that the best camera I have ever owned came into my life. It was a pink, Sony Cybershot. Everyday I learned new things about this camera, such as which setting to use for X and how to make it focus on Y. It was a beautiful little piece of technology. I enjoyed most of the pictures it took, though sometimes I got a little annoyed with the double flash feature (I hope that little pink guy only remembers the good moments).



Then, one day some heartless, heartless individual decided to take it from me. No camera can ever replace it.





This past Saturday night, a group of 9 of us headed to Bulex, which in Brussels language is basically the place to be on the first Saturday night of every month. Bulex showcases the top DJs from around the greater Brussels area. It is held in an abandoned school house. Each room is filled with a different theme and a different DJ. We decided on the big, outdoor area (it's in the 60's here in Belgium), where the DJ was playing old school American music (such as Shout! (we were the only 9 people to crouch to the floor during the "a little bit softer now" part...), Celebrate, Grease, etc.). We were dancing and having a good time. It was great night. Or so I thought.



Then, I realize that something is missing from my pocket. I had kept my coat on and had my camera and cell phone in each pocket. My camera was missing. Hoping for the best, I began searching the ground around us. Maybe it just fell out of my incredibly deep pocket (incredibly deep meaning exactly that...) while I was dancing. Knowing this was pretty impossible, I began to look around, look at people that perhaps I had seen earlier that night.



Then I saw it. Little Pinky. There it was in the hands of a stranger. Immediately, I ran over and yelled 'THAT'S MY CAMERA!' My friends came to my defense, and the theifs friend was able to throw a punch at my friend, Peter (from Mizzou, but studying in Brussels), before the theif ran off. Peter's nose started bleeding. The scene escalated. Though I desperately wanted to go after my camera, I decided that the better decision would be to stay with Peter and the rest of my friends. It would be stupid to run off after a piece of technology when my friend was bleeding from my nose, and a couple of the other guys were getting into fights with friends of the sketchball theif. We stuck a tampon up Peter's nose (the joys of hanging out with 6 girls...), and decided it was time to leave.



Outside of this incident, the night was unbelievably fun. I would have loved every minute of it, but alas, a dark, dark shadow hangs over Saturday, April 4th.



On a side note, if you see a man running around Brussels, wearing a black sweate with white stripes, carrying around a camera that looks like this, let me know. I miss my camera. And, yes, this picture is downloaded off the internet. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment